Tuesday 9 February 2016

Currently...

Currently I have this big blob of blue knitting on my needles...





















It's on its way to becoming Jared Flood's Leaves of Grass. But at 580 stitches per round, it's slow going.

I consider myself to be a monogamous knitter... most of the time. I try to be, really I do. The pull of multiple projects and not knowing what to knit first gets to me. Which is why I am torn about the idea of casting on a pair of socks while this shawl is in progress. Because on one hand it feels like I'm cheating on my beautiful shawl. But on the other hand, I'd rather not try to knit it, and then screw it up because I was trying to talk to people at the same time. At 580 stitches a row, that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

The reluctance is also probably due to Christmas knitting. Having caught the knitting bug shortly before Christmas, I decided to take on the task of knitting all my Christmas gifts this year. Which left me with 11 gifts to knit in the space of about a month and a half. (Confession: I failed. Only 9 of the 11 projects were completed in time, the last 2 have been designated as birthday gifts now, as the intended recipients were not expecting a gift from me. Crappy excuse, I know... but I'm sticking with that.)

With all this multiple project knitting came guilt as well. Guilt that I was whipping through a quick easy project, when working on that pair of socks for my dad would be a smarter idea... since socks take longer than a hat knit in chunky wool.

Still torn on the casting on of the socks... but one thing I do know: That I will be prepared for Christmas this year. Well prepared. I have every intention of having all my gifts done before December starts, and based on my personality, I'm pretty confident that I will be able to manage this.

Now... back to my selfish shawl knitting...

No comments:

Post a Comment