Tuesday 16 February 2016

Yarn shops for Canadians

As a Canadian, I know the annoyance of everything being American. Seriously. It's 2016, can we not get everything here without having to order it from the States, and pay stupid exchange rates, not to mention the possibility of customs. There's nothing worse than ordering $100 worth of something, only to end up paying double that. Ugh. It might be a sore spot... Reality is, I don't mind paying $200, but I would like to know up front and not have it be a big surprise.

So I've compiled a list of a few shops that look promising, and they have taken care of the ordering and exchange rate. So I know the CAD$ price right off the bat. Maybe I'm lazy, but I hate calculating that, and the trying to calculate American shipping to Canada. That's always a crapshoot. I prefer standard, Canadian shipping rates. There are just way too many variables when ordering from the States.

Beehive Wool Shop - Brooklyn Tweed. In Canada. Hallelujah. This place is based in Victoria BC, and I wish I had known about it last time I was in BC. (We'll ignore the fact that last time I was there, I was not obsessive about knitting.) I ordered the yarn for Leaves of Grass from them, and service was fast. There was even a nice little handwritten note inside.

Espace Tricot - based in Quebec, and much to my glee they carry Quince & Co. which I am dying to get and try. They also have Madelinetosh, Handmaiden, and Woolfolk, among many others. They do have free shipping on orders over $200.00 to orders in Canada and the US, and any knitter knows that it's not at all difficult to hit the $200.00 mark... Haven't used them yet, but an order will be in the very near future.

Ram Wools - I ordered wool for the Afmæli sweater from them. Received an email a few days later that the wool was backordered. Turns out they're expecting a shipment in a few weeks. Which leaves me out of money, and nothing to show for it. Not a huge fan of that, but as long as the yarn shows up, I can forgive them for that. Still, it would be nice to have known it was backordered before ordering. At any rate, it's probably not a bad thing. After I ordered the yarn I told a friend that it would be best if it took a long time for the yarn to get here, so I could finish my shawl... and since that point I've bought yarn for a cardigan., but let's not get into how much money I've spent this month on yarn...

Wet Coast Wools - A Vancouver based shop. They carry Jordana Paige's Butler organizer and her Cora bag, both of which look fantastic.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the roundup. I'm always looking for Canadian sources of yarn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of service :) Seems to be hard to find specific brands in local yarn shops, so I'm always happy when I find places in Canada that I can order them from, without crazy exchange or shipping rates.

      Delete